26th Annual David Hegwood
Day of Caring
April 29th, 2022
Day of Caring brings together volunteers committed to creating positive change in the lives of children, families, and seniors.
Volunteer teams, organized by local companies, civic organizations, schools, and community members complete projects for local nonprofit agencies, schools, and parks in the community that often lack the necessary resources to tackle such important initiatives themselves. We need YOU to make this day a success!
The United Way of Southwest Oklahoma renamed the Day of Caring the David Hegwood Day of Caring in 2012 following David's passing. David was a long time board member and supporter of United Way. David was a community advocate who believed strongly in volunteering and giving back to the community in which he lived. Every year we not only get to remember David and his commitment to United Way but we also remember his vision of giving back.
Following a community breakfast, teams volunteer across Lawton to complete much-needed tasks such as painting, cleaning, landscaping, gardening, and construction.
2022 David Hegwood Day of Caring Projects Sites
In all 27 Projects were completed at the following locations:
- Boy Scouts of America, Last Frontier Council
- Center for Creative Living
- City of Lawton, East Side Park
- Edison Elementary School
- Eisenhower Middle School
- Family Promise of Lawton, Inc.
- Great Plains Improvement Foundation; C. Carter Crane Shelter for the Homeless
- Teen Court
- Lawton Community Theatre
- MacArthur Middle School
- Marie Detty, Emergency Resource Center
- Marie Detty, New Directions Shelter
- Pat Henry Elementary School
- Roadback, Inc
- Roadback, Inc The Bridge
- Roadback, Inc Helen Holiday House
- Roadback, Inc Miller Manor
- Roadback, Inc Pathways
- Salvation Army, Boys and Girls Club
- Salvation Army
- United Way of Southwest Oklahoma
2022 Day of Caring Volunteers
In total, 288 Volunteers from the following locations showed us all how to LIVE UNITED by volunteering to help make SWOK a better place.
- Arvest Bank
- Cameron University
- City National Bank
- Cosmetic Specialty Labs
- Cotton County 4-H
- Donna Ellsworth
- Ft. Sill Federal Credit Union
- Great Plains Technology Center
- Lawton Business Women
- Lawton Marketing Group
- Silver-Line Plastics Corporation
- Summit Utilities
- Young Professionals
A special thank you to the generous sponsors for the 2022 Day of Caring!