SAVE THE DATE!
Mark your calendars and plan to join us for the 26th Annual David Hegwood Day of Caring!
This year's community-wide service event will be held on Friday, April 24th, 2020.
Please see details and photos from last year's event below!
Each year, Day of Caring brings together volunteers committed to creating positive change in the lives of children, families, and seniors.
Volunteer teams, organized by local companies, civic organizations, schools, and community members complete projects for local nonprofit agencies, schools, and parks in the community that often lack the necessary resources to tackle such important initiatives themselves. We need YOU to make this day a success!
The United Way of Southwest Oklahoma renamed the Day of Caring the David Hegwood Day of Caring in 2012 following David's passing. David was a long time board member and supporter of United Way. David was a community advocate who believed strongly in volunteering and giving back to the community in which he lived. Every year we not only get to remember David and his commitment to United Way but we also remember his vision of giving back.
Following a community breakfast, teams volunteer across Lawton to complete much-needed tasks such as painting, cleaning, landscaping, gardening, and construction.
United Way T-Shirts will be available for purchase for $5 at the David Hegwood Day of Caring Breakfast!
2019 David Hegwood Day of Caring Projects Sites.
In all 27 Projects were completed at the following locations:
- United Way of Southwest Oklahoma
- Marie Detty, Parker Pointe Group Home
- Marie Detty, New Directions Shelter
- Roadback, Inc
- Center for Creative Living
- Lawton Food Bank
- Crosby Park Elementary School
- Teen Court
- Salvation Army, Boys and Girls Club
- Salvation Army
- Great Plains Improvement Foundation; C. Carter Crane Shelter for the Homeless
- Girl Scouts
- Hearts that Care Volunteer Health Clinic
- CASA of Southwest Oklahoma
- Family Promise of Lawton, Inc.
- Christian Family Counseling Center
- Boy Scouts of America, Last Frontier Council
- City of Lawton, Elmer Thomas Park
- City of Lawton, HC King Center
2018 Day of Caring Volunteers
In total, 288 Volunteers from the following locations showed us all how to LIVE UNITED by volunteering to help make SW OK a better place.
- Catholic Charities
- Navy Federal Credit Union
- Silver-Line Plastics Corporation
- Great Plains Technology Center
- Reginald Duvall
- Christopher Adams
- Centerpoint Energy
- Cameron University Volleyball Team
- Young Professionals
- City National Bank
- Comanche County Courthouse Employees
- Ft. Sill Federal Credit Union
- Southwestern Medical Center
- Arvest Bank
- Cosmetic Specialty Labs
- Donna Ellsworth
- April Starr
- 1 Church, 1 Child
- Upper Iowa University
A special thank you to the generous sponsors for the 2018 Day of Caring!